Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A Storm’s Brewing! Let’s Recharge!


Thunderstorm over Edmonton from www.flickr.com
 
The afternoon has been hot, muggy, sticky, and as I wipe off the last of the orange Creamsicle from Little J’s hands and face, the winds begin to pick up, the trees start swaying and I see in the west the menacing apocalyptic clouds moving in. Within minutes, the first large drops of rain begin to fall, and as predicted, I hear a clap of thunder…
One of the things I look forward to the most about summers here in the prairies, are the almost nightly electrical storms that move in. Just as all the stress and tension of the day builds up, one storm can seem to relieve all the stress and tension both from life and in the unstable atmosphere. The deafening booms of thunder, and the blinding illuminated sky, are exciting and exactly what I need to make me feel alive after a day of the mundane.
 It’s almost a guarantee that every other evening here in the prairies that we’ll get a refreshing thunderstorm to break up the mugginess. I love to sit with the windows open, feeling the wind blow thru and listen to the storm. The kids too, have developed my love of a good storm, and press their little faces up to the windows to watch the rain and flashes of lightening. If my husband is home, he often says, “Get those kids away from the windows!” and “Shut the doors!” Growing up it seemed that I was never frightened of these storms, nor did I feel the need to be. It seems like older generations are more apt to be cautious when the thunder roars. I’ve never really given it a second thought.
Last summer my sister was at a wedding rehearsal at Celtic Lodge on Cape Breton Island, (check it out, it’s so nice! http://www.kelticlodge.ca/) when a thunder storm blew in. She was leaning against a deck railing on a cottage when there was a HUGE clap of thunder and lightning struck about 10 feet behind her. She leapt across the deck, her heart pounding in her throat. The lightning strike was close enough that the alarms went off in the cottage and she felt charged the whole night. Although this makes for quite the story, it had to be frightening none the less!
So, now I’ve decided that maybe it wouldn’t hurt to do a little research, on what one should Really do when there is a thunderstorm warning. Maybe I should actually teach my kids, that pressing their faces up to the window screens might not be a great idea.
                                           kiddos watching a storm summer 2012 :S
"If you can see it, flee it; If you can hear it, clear it."
Ok. So there it is. A one sentence rule of thumb to follow! I was actually quite surprised by some of the information I came across with the CCOHS (Canadian Center for Occupational Health and Safety).
Did you know?
·    Lightning kills six to twelve people every year in Canada, and seriously injures another sixty or seventy people
·    A lightning bolt is a million times more powerful than household current, carrying up to 100 million volts of electricity. When someone is struck by lightning, an electrical shock occurs that can cause burns and even stop the person's breathing.
·    Although thunder and lightning can occur occasionally during a snowstorm, April to October are the prime thunderstorm months in Canada. Thunderstorms occur most often in late afternoon or evening, and around sunrise.
·    Because light travels faster than sound, you will see lightning before you hear the thunder. Each second between the flash and the thunderclap represents about 300 meters. If you can hear thunder, you are within striking distance.
What to do during a storm:
·         The number one thing to do during a storm is to go to a safe location in a large permanent building or metal vehicle is best. Please note that tractors, golf carts, and topless or soft-top vehicles are NOT safe! Unsafe places are near metal or water; under trees; on hills; near electrical equipment.
·         When inside a vehicle during a lightning storm, roll up the windows and sit with your hands on your lap and wait out the storm. Don’t touch and part of the metal frame or any wired device in the vehicle (including the steering wheel or plugged-in cell phone). A direct strike to your car will flow through the frame of the vehicle and usually jump over or through the tires to reach the ground.
·         If you are with a group of people in the open, spread out several meters apart from one another.
·          If you get caught in a level field, far from shelter, crouch down on the balls of your feet immediately, with feet together, place your arms around your knees and bend forward. Be the smallest target possible, and at the same time, minimize your contact with the ground. Don’t lie flat!
·         If you are in a building, stay away from doors, windows and fireplaces.
So there you have it! Some do’s and don’t do’s for your next powerful summer thunderstorm! The kids and I are about to do a unit on weather, so I think it will be fun to incorporate a “What to do during a thunderstorm” activity! Better safe than sorry!
Xo Amy
(Not so sure I can change my ways though!)

 

1 comment:

  1. I love thunder and lightning storms too! I think they're so beautiful :-) I have watched many a storm over the Bay of Fundy. I love seeing the lightning reflect in the water, and hear the thunder echoing in the caves. Sometimes the lightning almost seems to bounce off the water as it travels up and down the Bay. I would love to experience a Prarie storm! Perhaps someday I will :-)

    A minister i came to know quite well told me that she was once hit by lightning. It came down and hit the sidewalk in front of her, bounced up, and hit her in the chest! Yikes!

    - Lizzie

    ReplyDelete