Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Savvy Steals and Frugal Finds

                                                                                                                                           google image
          As mentioned in my happiness project blog, one of my steps to happiness includes pursuing passions and making time for fun. Gretchen Rubin, of The Happiness Project, suggests that “a collection provides a mission, a reason to visit new places, the excitement of the chase…and often, a bond with other people.” Sounds fun right? I love decorating, collecting and pretty things, (including vintage items) and I enjoy the thrill of the hunt; whether, it is surfing on kijiji, visiting antique stores or going to garage sales. I am lucky because this is something my husband enjoys as well. He loves a fun repurposing project!
As a child, my parents used to drag us to yard-sales on Saturdays and Sundays throughout the Annapolis Valley. Unlike here in the city, the yard-sales were usually far and few between. This meant long drives and 3 of us crammed in the backseat. God forbid I was the unfortunate one stuck in the middle. My father liked to stop at the sales with lots of tools or farm equipment, which was very dull, for my twin sisters and I tagging along in the hot car.
          Now as an adult, I have come to enjoy yard-sales, and it’s a favorite pastime on the weekends for my family and I (we’re such geeks I know!). Here on the outskirts of the city there are so many! You don’t have to plan a route or scope out the night before where you might head. There are brightly colored signs on every corner and every turn. Each one competing with one another, to see who can make the best sign. They add streamers, balloons, even stick them on 10’ high posts… you get my drift. Sometimes it’s fun just to talk to the people at the sales! We met the cutest elderly couple on the weekend, who we probably could have talked to forever! Maybe it’s like I mentioned before, we don’t get out enough! J
google image
        I love treasure hunting, and you just never know when you are going to stumble upon a gem! So I thought it might be fun to show off some of my frugal finds over the summer, both from garage sales and kijiji, which we are also addicted to checking out! (I should mention that although I have a more modern sense of home décor, I like to integrate some older pieces as well… is that shabby chic?)
Please feel free to share with me your bargain finds and comment when you feel I got ripped off! (or just bought JUNK) Trust me I don’t mind! 
This past weekend, I found this little gem at the yard-sale with the elderly couple I mentioned previously. It sits about 8 inches tall from the bottom of the nut to the tip of the tail. It opens up, and can be used as a candy dish etc. I think it will be adorable for fall décor. I plan on placing it on a table with some small pumpkins or gourds and adding some fall foliage! I think it will be really cute! I asked the elderly lady if there was any story behind it, but she said “Nope, no story, just that my sister made it in a ceramics class.” Umm… I am not so sure I believe that! But anyways…. how do you like my nut?

2 comments:

  1. "It is adorable"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love yardsaling too, and as a child I always used to go along with Mom & Dad when they went. Perhaps it's a family thing, as you know Grampie and Nan's love of yardsales ;-) I must say I'm quite jealous of your prime yardsaling area!

    I think the nutty squirrel is quite charming, and will be lovely as a part of your fall decor. I don't quite believe it was handmade. Hand painted perhaps?

    - Lizzie

    ReplyDelete